You can download Genquadrant v2.1 right here. Unzip all in 1 folder
new in version 2.1 (may 2002) primary input can be a level 0 .bin file, after loading you can save it as targa graphic file 4096x4096 to check alignment to other megatiles.You are using this freeware tool at your own responsibility !
This tool is still under construction and the only documentation is on this page.
The results are usable now - the black and white dots has gone.
See the new high resolution Switzerland region and the UK London developer kit in the FU3 library at www.avsim.com
After loading of the 4096x4096 terrain map, this button is enabled and a classification map for the import with the GeoTilesViewer tool is generated. The result is a Targa picture 257x257 named CL5.tga Now refine the map with any drawing tool, but never change colorpalette or size - see GeoTiles page.
To generate this map a new classification palette is added in the zip, named ClassPal.tga it's also a Targa picture and is a one to one replacement for the FU3 terrain palette. You can modify this palette using a drawing tool. The classification function is counting the number of red,green,blue pixel in the corresponding 16x16 terrain square, result are weighted, green*2, blue*4, red*5 then the highest score is used for the pixel in the classification map.
GenQuadrant.exe a VC++ 6.0 Program
Compress.bin the Superpalette you still have in FU3
tonality.tga the visual arrangement of the colors for replacement during process.
tonality.bin the computed colorcube arrangement of the colors for replacement during process.
t1001.tga ... Targa file samples for color tests
ClassPal.tga a classification palette for the creation of the terrain classification maps ( new in vers.1.2 ).
there is no map in the zip - a 4096x4096 targa map has a size of 16MB !
You can always generate such a level 0 map of the Seattle area using FU3 and Sergey's utilities.
after generation of level 1 map - the bar scale is for 100%
at the end of the map generation the save Targa and FU3 buttons are enabled
Testing 8x8 color group by stepping 1, 2, 3 4 is very quick and is restartable after reset
The toolbar will guide your steps during generation
Short description of the buttons from left to right:
- open 4096x4096 Targa map or a 8x8 test pattern using file selection window
- preprocessing of color, will modify color for a better match - may be ;-)
- removing the last 9 blue colors of the palette 908 from your map and change it to another blue
- Superpalette restriction of use of 8,7,6,5 or 4 colors for each entry only, so you skip away the black and white dots on the right.
by choosing level 4 you restrict the color to 2-bit colors only.
- on = use of pure colors ( patternfree ) only. - on = use of the computed colorcube approximation tonality.bin (recommended), off = use of edited set tonality.tga
- enable / disable color modification during bottom up map processing ( from 0 to 1 to 2 to 3)
- View attributes (not enabled now)
- reset the test square to initial state for a next try with changed color modification
- new button in v1.2: Generate all steps at once, but bad settings :-(
- 1. step - modify level 0 and generate level 1 map
- 2. step - modify level 1 and generate level 2 map
- 3. step - modify level 2 and generate level 3 map
- 4. step - modify level 2 for palette match going back from level 3
- 5. step - modify level 1 for palette match going back from level 2
- 6. step - modify level 0 for palette match going back from level 1
- Load the targa file map set L0.tga, L1.tga, L2.tga and L3.tga to be ready to compress for FU3.
- save level 0 map as targa file L0.tga
- save level 1 map as targa file L1.tga
- save level 2 map as targa file L2.tga
- save level 3 map as targa file L3.tga
- Save the targa file map set L0.tga, L1.tga, L2.tga and L3.tga at once
- save compressed map L0.cpd ready for FU3 just rename for the placement inside region (e.g. L0aaaj.cpd)
- save compressed map L1.cpd ready for FU3 just rename for the placement inside region (e.g. L1aaaj.cpd)
- save compressed map L2.cpd ready for FU3 just rename for the placement inside region (e.g. L2aaaj.cpd)
- save uncompressed map L3.bin ready for FU3 just rename for the placement inside region (e.g. L3aaaj.bin)
- Save the compressed map set L0.cpd, L1.cpd, L2.cpd and L3.bin at once
- about GenQuadrant and Version-ID
the file Tonality.tga is defining the color selection during the matching process. You can now modify this selection using your paint tool - just keep format and size same as original. Do not modify the color itself, they are defined in FU3 so your change of the color will not help - but rearranging the colors leads to better results of the final matched map.The center coloumn is the palette reference - do not modify ! Left and right are the replacement colors.
For the dotfree sample I have use the following settins in the steps:
step 1 palette deep 7 and colorcube on, pure colors off
step 2 palette deep 6 and colorcube on, pure colors off
step 3 palette deep 5 and colorcube on, pure colors off
step 4 palette deep 4 and colorcube on, pure colors off
step 5 palette deep 4 and colorcube on, pure colors off
step 6 palette deep 4 and colorcube on, pure colors on
Information: André Meystre
back to FU3 Terrain Workshop next to Terrain elevation and classification